Sunday, March 13, 2011

Valley Girl

    How movies you see affect your life choices.
    Ok, well how they effected my fucking life choices.
    The movie “Valley Girl” was one of those movies, that did it for me.  When I was in High School I watched this movie. Many times.  
    Over and over. I was very fascinated with this movie.
    Valley Girl, is based out of California.  Well, the “Valley”.
    It came out in 1983 and starred Nicolas Cage as a punk rocker kinda guy from Hollywood.



     

    This is also when the 80’s slang started.
    Words like :
    Barf bag;
    Barf me out;
    Gag me with a spoon;
    For Sure;
    Gnarly;
    Rad;
    Spaz;
    Totally;
    I loved this movie. For whatever reason.  I made a decision that I just had to go live in California. It was MY destiny.
    For real.
    So the minute I graduated I split for California.  I was 18 years old.
    On the road. To the big city. Ok, well a bigger city than where I was from.
    I had no idea what I was gonna do. I barely made it out of HS.  So I guess I wasn’t the brightest, or was it I just didn’t give two shits?
    None the less I was determined. I was gonna make it work.
    Who doesn’t love sun and beaches?  I do!
    I ended up in California but not really in the "Valley".
    I lived in Chula Vista for awhile, which is a stones throw from the freakin Mexican border.
    This is where I first started with tanning nude.  I had an apartment that was several floors up and the balcony over looked the canyon and no one could see me.
    Ok, so I really got the idea from this stripper that I saw every day at the apartment complex pool.
    Being a stones throw from the border, I went there a lot.
    Oh, that good ole Mexico. Let me just say there is a lot of fun to be had in good ole Tijuana.  Lots of really cool bars. Lots of unusual topless bars.  With lots of unusual happenings going on inside. And when I say “unusual” I mean like donkeys and shit.  Yes, people just like the crazy shit you see in the movies. 
     I can’t even give you details cause you just would never fucking believe me. I swear.
    Tijuana is where I had my first tequila popper.  What is that you ask?
    It’s where this “guy” who has a whistle, and a bottle of tequila bends your head back and pours the bottle into your mouth then clamps his hand over your mouth (yes now I can say ewwww, who knows where this guys hands have been, but back then, who gave a fuck)  and shakes your head back and forth and all around while he blows this fucking whistle in your ear.
    Let me just say you get drunk as fuck really fast.
    This is also where I had my first margarita that came in a glass with a stand, cause it was so freakin tall.
    Good times baby, good times.
    So where was I?
    Yes, good ole California. So I lived in Chula Vista for awhile, then I moved to San Diego. Which if you’ve ever been there it really isnt that far of a move.
    I lived out there for 5 years.
    During which time, anyone and everyone who I have ever known came out to visit me and expected me to be their personal tour guide. WTF.
    I also discovered that if you live near the beach it still gets down in the 50’s because of the wind off the ocean. Brrrrrrrr
    I was under the assumption that California was HOT all the time. Not so.
    But I adapted.
    Life was good for awhile.  Until it was not.
    I missed the good ole Midwest. The rain storms, real grass and trees. I missed the friendliness of down to earth people. That you can only meet in a small town.
    I was getting tired of all the foreiners.  I just wanted people to speak English.  The new had worn off. I had grown up. 
    So my original reasons for living there were no longer important.
    I missed my family.
    So I made the trek back to the Midwest. 
    Now I know what you’re thinking, who doesn’t love California?
    Who would ever want to leave the sun for snow storms and tornados?
    It’s a personal choice I suppose. It’s not for everyone.
    But it sure was fun while it lasted.
    I still say it is a great place to visit and vacation.
    It’s just not where I wanted to raise kids.  Family is everything to me.
    Do you have a movie that made a big impact on your life?
    I would love to hear your story.

    Source URL: http://anacostiaque.blogspot.com/2011/03/valley-girl.html
    Visit anacostiaque for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive