Friday, February 5, 2010

Rum & No Coke

    Back in the day, when I was under age drinking. My drinks of choice were Jack Daniels and/or Bacardi. Mostly cause someone who knew someone who knew someone, would get it for my friends and me. More often than not, we would drink it minus the “coke” part, since who as a teen can afford alcohol and a bottle of coke to mix it with? Not many.


    I vividly remember one time where I actually threw up florescent vomit.


    Yes, I was wild child in H.S. I don’t deny it.

    So here’s the thing. My kids aren’t little anymore, but they are still in those growing/learning years. As they have gone thru and are currently going thru H.S. themselves, we have had many discussions about the right and wrongs.

    The conversations mostly went down like this.


    Kids: Mom, did you drink when you were in H.S.?
    ME: Absolutely not!
    Kids: Mom, did you smoke pot in H.S.?
    ME: absolutely not!

    See the pattern here. No matter what “you” have done in your life time, you most likely do not want your kids doing the same. So I don’t recommend telling/sharing anything that they can throw back in your face later.

    At this point don’t you wish you had one of those big “gongs” from the “Gong Show”. That way before the next question was asked you could hit the gong and say, “Sorry that’s all we have time for today”!

    I know that lying to your children is not the best Christian way to be, BUT in my defense I just don’t think telling them all I have done will do them any good either. You can't go back and change the past.

    However, my mother seems to think it is perfectly fine to share with my kids all that she thinks/assumes I did in H.S. You know, how I never came home on time, or that I was out running around at all hours. I am pretty sure she has hinted that I might have smoked pot even. (Not that she knows this for sure).

    WTF?

    I don’t understand why she would think it’s funny or beneficial to drag my name thru mud in front of my kids. I certainly don’t think it is a great Ha,Ha moment to share with your grandkids.

    So now I am forever hearing the kids make smart ass joking comments to me, about what “grandma” said I did in my H.S. years.

    I know not too long ago I read someone else’s blog about a similar subject, but for the life of me I can’t remember how she handled the situation.

    So I am open for suggestions on how I am suppose to handle this kind of backlash.

    Anyone got anything good for me to use?
    Source URL: http://anacostiaque.blogspot.com/2010/02/rum-no-coke.html
    Visit anacostiaque for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment