Thursday, April 15, 2010

When is Enough- ENOUGH

    I wouldn’t be the “SoccerMom” if I didn’t freakin talk about Soccer every once in awhile. Right?



    So here it is.

    Now that my son is a freshman in high school, we are winding down on the whole sports thing. I think we have accepted that my son will not go on to play professional soccer. Which makes me a little sad. Ok, alot sad.


    He will continue on the next three years playing soccer and running . As for college, I do not know.


    It is hard to think about this since my son has played sports since he was four years old. That is a long freakin time.

    He has played/paticipated in baseball, basketball, soccer, cross country, and track. He also golfs, plays tennis, runs in 5ks and plays football just not on a team ,but those were for fun.


    Everyone in my family has played in a sport at some point in time. When I first met my husband, he was still playing basketball, football, and volleyball. Occasionally he runs in 5ks. Our family is very competitive.
    You know balls to the wall kinda thing.


    I personally feel that it is important to keep your child envolved in something, so that they will not have any time for the “BAD” things. So far so good.


    It all starts when they are little, you sign them up for every freakin sport there is. Initially, to see where or if they have any natural talent. At age four your child can not make their own decisions, so you as a parent do it for them. I am pretty sure at age 4 my son didn’t stop and say “hey I think I’m gonna be a professional baseball player when I grow up”. No, he just wanted to play.


    Even back then, he was very serious about sports. So we just ran with it. Early on we realized that he had what it takes to be a really good athlete.


    I know, get to the freakin point already.

    Here is what I am trying to say, How soon is too soon? And How much is too much? I totally get it. I have been there. You want your child to have every opportunity to try all sports. Then the next thing you know they are in Jr. High and they are still playing multiple sports. Which is too much.


    I’ll never forget one time my son was playing on two different soccer teams at the same time. You know to get maximum amount of game time in. So this one time we got to the game and realized that he was wearing the wrong damn uniform.


    That was when I finally told him that he needed to pick one sport, one team. It was getting to be too much. The secondary problem is when you get envolved in a competitive team; you are gauranteed to spend lots of money, lots of time traveling, and many practices.


    Our family has been transporting my son around for years to all these different events. I do not know at what point it became not fun anymore for him. Maybe it was missing out on all the fun times with friends, or missing all the birthday parties or all the sleep overs. I truly do not know, at what point the burn out came. The point is, we are here.


    You push and push your child cause they say “I love soccer”, you think your doing whats in their best interest.

    You know it’s a dog eat dog world out there.
    If you want to be the best, you have to bust your ass.

    So this is me sharing valuable information with you.


    Don't push so hard.

    The reality is, not every kid is going to grow up to be a Major League baseball player, if they are lucky they might get some good college scholarships.


    Don’t ruin it for them.

    High school is the time when you need to worry the most about kids getting into bad things. You don’t want your child to be burnt out and quit, just at the time when they need to be envolved the most.Source URL: http://anacostiaque.blogspot.com/2010/04/when-is-enough-enough.html
    Visit anacostiaque for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive