Thursday, October 22, 2009

Is 40 the new 20?

    What is it about turning 40?


    Seriously, why is there a need to “look younger”?
    I have thought long and hard about this subject.

    I can tell you at 21 I wasn’t worried about looking older, and at 30 I definitely wasn’t concerned.



    But when I hit the BIG 40.  I was like, WTF  It was like overnight I had aged 5 freakin years.

    Which then it turned into an obsession of going thru old photos from the last 2 years to see where the hell did my youth go. I was looking to see at what point my eyes looked sunken in or the lovely waddle under my chin appeared. Im pretty sure I did NOT look this old a year ago.

    Mostly this concern was kicked off after I went to a happy hour with some co workers. (yes, most of them are 10 years younger than me, so probably should have declined) but should age really have anything to do with anything? Of course it does.

    Anyways, in a conversation with one of the “Young gentlemen”(and when i say young i mean 15years younger than me, I could be his freakin mother) he made a comment about me being OLD. WTF!!!! Of course I came completely unglued. I told him that I wasn’t OLD I was just OLDER than him. I also asked him if his mother ever taught him that it was disrespectful to say such a thing to any women of any age. Thank goodness for him, I was not drinking that night or it could have ended badly for him. LMAO

    After I left the bar, I then vowed that I was never going to another happy hour with these uneducated young twerps!

    Then I proceeded to drive straight from the bar to the nearest department store so I could purchase lotions, face washes, and serums. All of the things that “claim” to give you back your youth. Also at the same time I was texting my daughter to ask her if she thought I looked old. Of course kids lie. Ha!

    I work out constantly to try and maintain a figure; I dye my hair to cover the gray; I have even bought a push up bra before, to make sure my boobs are where they should be. What more can one women do?

    Why do we feel the need to listen to these young people’s opinions in order to validate if we look young or not?

    If I have to hear another person say to me that you are only as old as you feel, I might freakin loose it.
    Cause seriously people that is not a compliment!

    Honestly, I have a good life, a happy marriage, so why do I care what they think? It's because we as a society always want more, we are never satisfied with what we have.

    Now the year is almost over and I have finally come to terms with my age and what I look like now.
    It’s not bad, it’s just not what I looked like a year ago.

    I still every once in awhile when a commercial  comes on tv with promises of a miracle youth product, my heart skips a beat at the possibility of trying a “new” product that might make me young again.

    How crazy is that????
    Source URL: http://anacostiaque.blogspot.com/2009/10/is-40-new-20.html
    Visit anacostiaque for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment