Monday, March 1, 2010

Indiglow House



     
    My house has been dubbed the Indiglow House.


    Why you ask?
    Well, let me tell you why.

    During my 2nd marriage. My husband worked the 2nd sometimes the 3rd shift . Which ment that my children and I were home alone during the scariest time of night. Hello, I do read a lot of books and I sometimes watch the news, so I am fully aware of what kind of scary freaks are out there running around.

    So being the normal kind of person I am, I would keep almost all the lights on in the house at night. This made me feel secure, and at least it appeared that someone was up and awake at all hours in my house.

    A lot of my fear came from my years of living in California fresh out of H.S. on my own. I'm not saying California isn't a safe place to live. I'm just saying at age 19 living on your own in a unfamiliar city is a little bit scary.


    Thankfully my ex never questioned me about our expensive electric bill, cause I wasn’t about to change. At least not while I spent my evenings home alone.

    I guess by leaving the lights on all night, it was doing the job. Because one day when the kids and I were out back in the pool our neighbor came over and said ummmm, why are you guys always up so late?

    So I had to explain why I really wasn’t up at 3am but it appeared I was. (It has never dawned on me till now, that maybe I should of asked my neighbor what she was doing up at 3am looking in my windows?) What the heck?

    From that point on our house was known as the indiglow house.

    So when I got married for the 3rd time, ( yes, I have had a hard time settling down) I had spent such a long time on my own and was set in my ways that made me feel secure, it was really hard to change.

    My sportsman did not understand why I insisted on keeping so many lights on when we went to bed. Partly cause he is one of those ppl who watches the dollar. Also, partly cause he didn’t understand why if he was home that I didn’t feel secure enough that we could shut down some of the lights. You know, once fear gets ahold of you, it’s really hard to shake it.


    It has taken me 8 years to get it down to having only 1 little ole kitchen light on when we go to bed. Ok, if you don’t count night lights. Do the little plug in night lights count as a light on? No ? Ok good then I have really made a lot of progress.

    Now, if I could just put the maglight flash light back under the kitchen sink and not sitting next to my bed I would be golden.
    Wish me luck!

    Source URL: http://anacostiaque.blogspot.com/2010/03/indiglow-house.html
    Visit anacostiaque for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment